Thursday, September 5, 2019

divorced dating

The topic of dating again since the divorce is one I really could use some guidance. Is there a how-to manual anywhere?

I thought I was ready to take the big next step, so I joined match.com and dove in. I wrote a lengthy profile and added a handful of my most acceptable recent photos (You know, the ones which disguise as many of my flaws as possible). This is no task for the impatient. It took days selecting pictures, only to delete them when I detected a second chin or horrid bags under my eyes. I finally decided to quit messing with the photos before I had none left on my profile. Then, I waited. I was not prepared for the kind of messages I received. Some were downright sleazy.

I met one man with whom I started a discussion which eventually led to an exchange of phone numbers. I was really beginning to feel a connection. He was thoughtful, sweet, and interesting. I started to think about the inevitable meet-up, and I froze. I wasn't ready. After 27 years of marriage, I wasn't sure how to start all over again. How was I going to trust again? What if he took one look at me and regretted connecting? What if we didn't have anything to talk about? What is he turned out to be some serial killer who was wanted in three states?

So, that ended that.

But you know what? I want to date. I truly do. I want to have someone to share the popcorn with at the movies, someone to laugh with, someone who accepts me for who I am. I just don't know if that man is even out there.

So, any tips? This divorcee could really use some advice.

No comments: